Now we know that Adams will serve a full term as president of UConn Nation.
UConn guard Jalen Adams, the Huskies’ best player for most of his career, announced he would be returning for his senior season.
Adams’ status had been unclear after UConn fired head coach Kevin Ollie and hired Dan Hurley away from Rhode Island to replace him. When Hurley was hired, Adams would not commit to returning to the Huskies. Adams said at the time he was not considering a transfer, though declaring himself eligible for the NBA Draft seemed an option for the junior.
In a video posted to his social media accounts Sunday, however, the 6-foot-3 native of Roxbury, Massachusetts, made it clear he was not leaving UConn any time soon.
“Playing at UConn the past three years has been a dream come true. Although the journey has not always been what I envisioned, I am reminded of what greatness is every day I come into the gym and see those four national championship banners,” Adams said as highlights of his time at UConn played and the banners he refers to were shown in the video’s background.
“My legacy as a UConn Husky is important to me. I am more determined than ever to live up to the expectations of great UConn guards and deliver a championship season for my university and our amazing fans.”
Adams is still best known for his buzzer-beating, 75-foot heave against Cincinnati in a four-overtime UConn victory in the 2015 American Athletic Conference Tournament. But that season, Adams’ freshman campaign, was the only season his Huskies advanced to the NCAA Tournament.
He averaged a team-high 18.6 points and was a second-team All-AAC selection this past season, after being a first-team pick as a sophomore.
If there was any ambiguity left, Adams made it clear with his final words on the video.
“I am returning to UConn nation for my senior year, I am excited to work with coach Hurley and lead us into the new era of UConn basketball,” Adams said. “I am fully committed to my career and education. Another year of development and growth will help me to achieve my ultimate goal, an NBA career. See you in November.”
Although one of its starting guards from last season is officially in the fold for 2018, a second UConn backcourt standout’s future with the Huskies is a little murkier.
Christian Vital announced via the school Friday that he was declaring himself eligible for the draft but not hiring an agent. He has until May 30 to withdraw his name from consideration.
He seemingly has no chance to be drafted, but seemed to indicate in a social media post over the weekend that he was not returning to school.
“UConn thank you for all of the opportunities you have given me on & off the court!” Vital wrote on his Instagram account. “I have come to peace with the decision that I will enter the 2018 NBA Draft. Thank you to anyone who has played a positive role in this process.”
Vital averaged 14.9 points and 5.4 rebounds per game last season as a sophomore.