UConn's lack of comment doesn't end NCAA questions regarding men's basketball program

Published on Monday, 29 January 2018 22:48
Written by Neil Ostrout

Journal Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA - The UConn men’s basketball team may be facing an NCAA inquiry, but the players on the team insist it’s not affecting their games or their daily life.

“No, not at all,” guard Antwoine Anderson said after Sunday night’s loss to Temple.

In fact, Anderson said he and his teammates didn’t even know such an investigation was going on before last week. “No, we did not,” Anderson said.

Guard Christian Vital pleaded ignorance on the subject. “I don’t really know anything about that,” Vital said.

Coach Kevin Ollie released a statement before the game that attempted to address the situation, though he was questioned by reporters after the game as well.

“With regard to the inquiry directed at our men’s basketball program, I want to express that we will cooperate fully with the NCAA as this process moves forward as we are committed to promoting an atmosphere of compliance with NCAA regulations,” Ollie’s statement read. “As we head into the final weeks of the season, our total focus will be on helping our team improve and reach its highest potential. To that end, we will have no further comment on this matter.”

Asked how is team is reacting, Ollie took a positive stance. “The vibes are still good. We look forward to cooperating with the NCAA. I’ll just go back to my statement,” Ollie said.

Pressed slightly about how insulated his players may or may not be from the investigation, Ollie referred again to his prepared remark. “I just answered that. I’m going back to my statement. They’ll be fine,” Ollie said.

 



Posted in Newington Town Crier, UConn on Monday, 29 January 2018 22:48. Updated: Tuesday, 30 January 2018 12:21.